Thursday, June 11, 2009

First Lines

The first line is incredibly important to a short story. My first fiction teacher at Southern Illinois University taught this idea. I realized I agreed with her. The first line can draw the reader in or it can leave them disenchanted with the story from the start. I can spend an hour or more running first lines through my head for a new story I want to create. After the first line everything else seems easier.
So, here's the idea. I started talking about fiction. Now, I'm going to talk about faith. The host of the television show "Inside the Actor's Studio" always asks his famous guests a few unique questions at the end of each show. One of the questions is: If there's a heaven and there's a God what would you like to hear God say to you upon first arriving?
I always have loved the idea of this question. I love it because I do believe in God and heaven. I love it because it's interesting. I love it because of the answers people think up. Well, I seriously doubt I'll ever be on "Inside the Actor's Studio" since I'm not an actor. I took one acting class in college, but after that my career was over. Although, I'll never be on the show I do have an answer to the question. I've thought about it many times recently.
My answer? "Welcome home, son."
I would take great pleasure in hearing your answer!

4 comments:

  1. Well done thou good and faithful servant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I'd like to hear something like, "There's a cooler of beer in the back" or "Pull my finger" since I kinda picture God as a comedian of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Eric. I might add your choice is also biblically correct, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samuel, we can always hope there will be beer in heaven! Pull my finger seems slightly low class for the creator of the universe, however. Thanks for reading and participating!

    ReplyDelete