Saturday, July 18, 2009

"Could we get seconds on the Ginger Ale?"

I was seated on a plane ready for takeoff from Detroit to St. Louis when the two most interesting passengers sat down beside me. My family vacation to Maine was almost over. The family and myself were on the connecting flight to bring us back close to home. I wasn't sitting with my family members, though. No, I was sitting next to two young strangers. Kids. A girl and a boy. They were brother and sister I believe. I knew when I saw two kids join me in the row I was in for an interesting flight.
Well, I wanted to start up conversation immediately. All I managed at first was a friendly single word of "Hello." I said it to the boy. He was seated right beside me. He said, "Hello" back. Then I started to try and think up the best way to connect with these two young passengers. I'm a kid at heart! I kept analyzing what we could talk about. Did these kids even want to talk to someone more than twice their age? Finally, around twenty minutes in on takeoff, I turned to them and said, "That's my favorite part!" "Us too!" they said together. And the wall had been torn down. We talked for the rest of the flight.
The conversation included secret spy camera pens (which they showed me a picture of in the magazine in the backseat pouch), the new Harry Potter film, ginger ale, the disgusting gum that was stuck to the magazine in my backseat pouch which made reading it an impossibility, the clouds, the new film Up, what grade of school they were going into, and how long they'd been on vacation.
At one point we were discussing what beverage we would each choose when the flight attendant came by with the beverage cart. The young girl was talking about a Pepsi, the young boy I don't recall, and I told them it was always Ginger Ale for me. So, when the beverage cart stopped at our aisle I said, "Ginger Ale for me." And they said, "Ginger Ale!" One Ginger Ale was not enough however! I showed them a trick! I said, "Hey, you guys want seconds on the Ginger Ale?" "Yeah!" they said. I told them to watch this as I pushed the flight attendant call button above my head. When the flight attendant returned I said, "Could we get seconds on the Ginger Ale?" He was happy to meet our request. I do believe at that moment I was the kids hero.
Shortly after the seconds on the ginger ale the flight came to a close. I wished the boy and girl the best on the rest of their travels. They went on their way and I went on my opposite way. I was happy to have had the opportunity to travel with them for an hour and a half.
I was glad I'd started a conversation. I was glad I could get them seconds on our beverage of choice.

3 comments:

  1. This narrative makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that makes me smile. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reed's ginger ale is my favorite. It is so choice. If you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up.

    ReplyDelete